[GRLUG] Postfix server setup

Patrick Goupell patrick at upmerchants.com
Sat May 10 18:47:46 EDT 2014

On 05/10/2014 02:42 PM, Andrew Cady wrote:

> That confirms that the certificate is there.  But it does not confirm
> that the private key is there.  You need both.
>
> My guess is that the private key is not there.  You can confirm it like
> so:
>
>    $ openssl rsa -in /etc/courier/pop3d.pem
>
> ...assuming it's an RSA key.
>
> Or just a basic sanity check:
>
>    $ grep PRIVATE /etc/courier/pop3d.pem
>    -----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
>    -----END PRIVATE KEY-----
>
> If you don't see those two lines there, the solution is:
>
>    $ cat the-private-key.pem >> /etc/courier/pop3d.pem

Making some progress.

I did the cat the-private-key.pem >> etc/courier/pop3d.pem.

Now when thunderbird tries to connect via port 995 the mail server now
gives this error:

mail pop3d-ssl: couriertls: /etc/courier/pop3d.pem: error:0B080074:x509
certificate routines:X509_check_private_key:key values mismatch

I tried searching the net but did not find anything that told me what
key values might be missmatched.

I was thinking maybe just regenerate the server private/public key pair
and resubmit the csr.  Any other suggestions?

FYI, I am up in Presque Isle county all by myself so this is a learn as
I go process.  I also follow the greater lansing lug mailing list.

Thank you.

Patrick