[GRLUG] Postfix server setup

Andrew Cady andy at childrenofmay.org
Sat May 10 14:42:31 EDT 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 11:35:52AM -0400, Patrick Goupell wrote:

>      I did a openssl x509 -in mycertifiacte.crt -text -noout and it
>      shows the certificate text without error.

>    I should have noted that I did a symlink ln -s
>    /path/to/mycertificacte.crt /etc/courier/pop3d.pem

That confirms that the certificate is there.  But it does not confirm
that the private key is there.  You need both.

My guess is that the private key is not there.  You can confirm it like
so:

  $ openssl rsa -in /etc/courier/pop3d.pem

...assuming it's an RSA key.

Or just a basic sanity check:

  $ grep PRIVATE /etc/courier/pop3d.pem
  -----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
  -----END PRIVATE KEY-----

If you don't see those two lines there, the solution is:

  $ cat the-private-key.pem >> /etc/courier/pop3d.pem