[GRLUG] Buying a good laptop online

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Jun 13 17:32:00 EDT 2013

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Chris Chocko wrote:

> I'm looking to purchase a laptop for around $500 - $600. I really don't
> want to go to Best Buy. I'm not sure of my options though. I was going to
> install openBSD or a linux distro, so I'd like to skip the Windows 8
> license if possible.

newegg often has some great deals on 'returned' machines, .. I got a quad
core Acer 15" w/4GB for less than $400 about a year ago.

> Where do linux guys go to buy their Windowless laptops, or is there a good
> deal online somewhere? I'd like the most bang for my buck. I don't really
> play games, a good video card would be nice but definitely not necessary.

It's a big pain to get them Windowless, .. just do your h/w compatibility
*first*, and then swap HDs as soon as you get it for a clean install. (I
recommend keeping the original disk in case you ever want to sell it.)

	Lee