[GRLUG] Warning: root device /dev/root does not exist - From chroot .deb pkg install

Josh leapole at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 13:06:32 EDT 2013

Heya guys,

I am working on installing my pogo plugs with kali linux and have got to
the point of just needing to install a kernel and create the vmlinux and
initramfs but i am getting this error and not really finding much.  Here is
some background on the situation.

The Device boots a micro sized debian linux.  Then I add a usb stick for
the root filesystem.  Using a script I made it mounts, and starts a
debootstrap of Kali linux.  Problem is that no kernel shows up that I know
of.  So I copy over a .deb of a working kernel and the headers, That I made
for prior installs wheezy, ( it works on wheezy ).  So here are the
important parts -- i will attach the script.

mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/kali

#Run the debootstrap

/usr/sbin/debootstrap --verbose --include=$EXTRA_PACKAGES --arch=$ARCH
$RELEASE $ROOT $DEB_MIRROR

#Then chroot in to install the kernel .debs

mount -t proc proc /tmp/kali/proc
mount -o bind /dev/ /tmp/kali/dev/
mount -o bind /dev/pts /tmp/kali/dev/pts

#copy the .debs to the device and then run the .deb installer

dpkg -i linux-image-3.1.10-pineapplepie_0.1_armel.deb

# which ends in this error

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
3.1.10-pineapplepie /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.10-pineapplepie
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.1.10-pineapplepie
Warning: root device /dev/root does not exist

I think that I get a working vmlinuz-3.1.10-pineapplepie

but initrd.img-3.1.10-pineapplepie.new seems to be no good.  it should not
be a .new that I know of.

Any Ideas on where to go next would be great google is just giving me a lot
not related problems like your hard drive is missing and other stuff.

Thanks

Just Josh