[GRLUG] modems etc

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 16:22:16 EDT 2013

I haven't been to Micro Center yet to ask a floor rep, but looked on
the Web site, finding these responses:

    http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=docsis&N=

I don't particularly want a router tied into the modem for $10 extra
(router fails, so you lose your modem), so I'm just looking at the
modem-only items (Zoom & Linksys, $30 difference). Using the compare
feature, I noticed a lot of N/A entries for the Linksys, and some seem
inconsistent (ex: Linksys has N/A for Network Data Transfer Rate,
while Zoom shows 10,100,1000). Interesting that the Linksys indicates
twice the downlink rate, while the Zoom shows twice the uplink rate.

How many on this list have experience with both these modems (or
either), and just how significant are the differences? (especially,
are the differences worth $30 in the Linksys's favor?)

[I figure that, before I ask the sales person if Charter will work
with a user-provided DOCSIS 3, I should know what they have and which
one I would want.]

--Don Ellis