[GRLUG] GRLUG site

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Wed Sep 28 12:13:32 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:59:49AM -0400, Godwin wrote:
> Greets all,
>
> Allow me to add some detail.   I have a dedicated cloud server for
> GRLUG which is where I host/manage the mailing list.   There really is
> no problem with its continued use.  Though I am not opposed to moving
> the list - if consensus is reached - we really have no need to do so.
> I will continue to have the server space with 99.9% update (as per
> their SLA) dedicated for GRLUG use.
>
> Our site, however, could use some tender loving care.  I briefly
> discussed this with Casey while at GRRCON the other day and suggested
> we open up discussion on the topic.  I think it best for us, as a LUG,
> to attempt to strengthen our structure and elect officials.  One
> position needed is Webmaster for the aforementioned site.   I know
> Casey, Ben, Mike (and others) are greatly responsible for keeping us
> alive - for which you have my thanks.  Just thought I'd throw that in
> there...  :-)
>
> As our sysadmin, I am perfectly willing to setup whatever
> environment/tools necessary for a webmaster to work his/her magic on
> our site - on our dedicated server.  I've bared the (minimal) expense
> of our domain/server/site since day one and have no problem continuing
> to do so.
>
> So, if the current arrangement for our mailing list works for most,
> lets table that issue and engage in conversation regarding our site
> and LUG structure.  Thanks to all.
>
> G-
>
> P.S.  No, this isn't my Jerry Maguire "manifesto"...   :-)

Thanks, Godwin.  I've been reading this thread trying to figure out why
we were talking about switching away from what we have (regarding the
mailing list).  It has been working fine for me for over ten years, with
only one serious outage (that I recall).

Our web site, however...  I'm all for minimalism (á la
http://www.slackware.com) but ours is minimalism circa 1998.  Then
again, I have nothing substantial to contribute to making it better
other than to say it's currently bleh.

So back to Casey's original post that started this thread: why is the
site moving?
--
john-thomas
------