[GRLUG] Thunderbird on Win7

Eric Beversluis ebever at researchintegration.org
Sun Mar 6 11:05:56 EST 2011

Does anyone understand Thunderbird? I'm confused and don't find any
clear answers at their site. Nor does the Mozilla community forum seem
useful--there seem to be lots of good questions but few answers.

My problem is with using TLS on Thunderbird on Win7. (It's working fine
on my Linux box with Evolution.)

I've deleted my old accounts and tried to set up new from scratch, after
trying to convert the existing accounts to SSL/TLS didn't work.

Omnis.com says to use port 587 and mail.omnis.com for SMTP. I've got my
password saved properly in the Thunderbird password vault. I've tried
both the "Encrypted password" setting in "Authentication Methods" and
the "Normal Password" setting. Neither works. I keep getting a
"connection to server timed out" error message.

Anyone know how I should get this to work?