[GRLUG] Thunderbird on Win7

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Sun Mar 6 11:52:29 EST 2011

On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 11:05:56AM -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> My problem is with using TLS on Thunderbird on Win7. (It's working fine
> on my Linux box with Evolution.)
>
> I've deleted my old accounts and tried to set up new from scratch, after
> trying to convert the existing accounts to SSL/TLS didn't work.
>
> Omnis.com says to use port 587 and mail.omnis.com for SMTP. I've got my
> password saved properly in the Thunderbird password vault. I've tried
> both the "Encrypted password" setting in "Authentication Methods" and
> the "Normal Password" setting. Neither works. I keep getting a
> "connection to server timed out" error message.
>
> Anyone know how I should get this to work?

I've used Thunderbird, TLS, and Normal Password on port 587 for years on
Windows XP.  I haven't used it on Win7 yet, but that shouldn't matter.
Usually a "connection timed out" message means the port is being
blocked.  Check firewalls and anti-virus/spyware products for
interference with port 587 or outgoing mail.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>