[GRLUG] powersupply needed for HP laptop

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Sep 14 16:05:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:45:39AM -0400, Matt Michielsen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:32 PM, John-Thomas Richards
> <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 04:29:24PM +0000, Matt Whitaker wrote:
> >> I have a power supply for a laptop that just died.  I think it is the
> >> right one, if so it is all yours.
> >
> > Is it for an HP laptop?  They're all just slightly different (much like
> > cell phones).  Some day there'll be a spec for power supplies, but that
> > day ain't today.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >> From: John-Thomas Richards <jtr at jrichards.org>
> >> Sender: grlug-bounces at grlug.org
> >> Subject: [GRLUG] powersupply needed for HP laptop
> >>
> >> My power supply is failing.  The wires are frayed where the enter the
> >> brick.  Anyone have an old HP laptop power supply you're willing to sell
> >> cheap?  It's a 65W power supply with 18.5V output.  The HP model is a
> >> DV6000.
>
> Taking apart and repairing your power supply brick is probably the
> easiest electronics project ever.  I'm assuming you mean the shielding
> is frayed and the other coated wire(s) are ok and nothing has touched
> each other when it was plugged in.

I just did that!  It frayed right at the strain relief.  I removed the
strain relief and spliced it back together.  With a fair amount of
electrical tape, it's working just fine.  Still, my new power supply is
coming Friday.

Which reminds me...my other laptop died about a year ago.  It fell with
a USB dongle in and damaged the port.  The port is right by the power
supply.  The battery wouldn't charge anymore so I just assumed it was
the motherboard jack.  Well, I picked up a new power supply and it's
working.  $10 repair.  *Sweet*  Now I just need to get a new hard
drive for it.
--
john-thomas
------