[GRLUG] VOIP "Dialtone"

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:35:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> At 01:38 PM 4/28/2010, you wrote:
> Ahh, .. how do 'incoming copper lines over a T1' relate to VOIP
> equipment like Polycom? Am I missing something?

I don't know anything about Polycom, but the "incoming lines over a
T1" likely refers to the individual 64kbps channels on a PRI.  A PRI
can carry data or voice services with fixed guaranteed bandwidth to
each. A full PRI dedicated to data is usually a T1.*  A 64kbps channel
on a PRI is equivalent to a single voice line, but is fully binary
(and lossless!) between your equipment and the telco.

The ISP my family ran for a few years used a PRI into a terminal
server w/ builtin softmodem capability for dial-in, and fractional T1
(Some of the channels went to other customers in the building) for our
data connection.

* It's been almost a decade since I dealt directly with this stuff;
you'll have to forgive me if my memory is a tad rusty.