[GRLUG] VOIP "Dialtone"

Dan Pilcheck pilcheck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:36:31 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> At 01:38 PM 4/28/2010, you wrote:
>
>>I currently maintain 2 Asterisk servers in production and 1 for-fun at home.
>>If you can program (and I dont), you can configure Asterisk. Don't get me
>>wrong, its not easy and I'm certainly no pro. but your project is more than
>>suitable for an asterisk box. If you are going analog, thats gonna require a
>>little hardware, but you could get a SIP provider and never have to
>>touch a line.
>
> Who do you use for your SIP trunks? Ever heard of voipvoip.com? They
> seem to have a pretty good deal - $7/mo for a PSTN phone number, free
> virtual lines, $.019/minute, no minimum. That's 1300+ minutes before
> you get to the $25/month from most VOIP 'flat rate' plans, .. and
> that's PER LINE!
>
>>There are about 60 Polycom 301 & 501's around the office, with a few dozen
>>incoming copper lines over a T1.
>
> Ahh, .. how do 'incoming copper lines over a T1' relate to VOIP
> equipment like Polycom? Am I missing something?
>
> Also, how is the sound quality with Polycom? They seem like a major
> vendor in the VOIP marketplace, ..
>
>         Thanks for the info!!!
>
>         Lee

The lines come in through a T1/PRI circuit and interfaces with the
server though a
Digium TE1040p card. The card and Asterisk handle [de]coding, and from there
pushed out to the specified queue / extension. And vice versa.

At home I've had CallCentric.com for a just under a year now. No complaints.
I can't say that I've heard of voipvoip, but if you could cross reference prices
from http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID+Service+Providers (that site will
teach you just about everything).

As far as Polycoms go, I consider them second to none. They take a
little finess to
get provisioned, but work flawlessly after that. Aastra and Snom are the other
'playes' in my opinion.

--
Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?