[GRLUG] python app speed

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Jul 16 09:32:00 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 08:44:11AM -0400, peyeps at iserv.net wrote:
[snip]
> What I was thinking of was a single location where you could buy an
> application for any platform, Windows, Mac and Linux.  There are so many
> things out there that are for only one or two platforms.
>
> Even free stuff is not available for all platforms.  For example the
> Chrome browser, though I understand there is a beta for Linux available
> now.
>
> Possibly applications built on top of Python might be good candidates for
> the "Universal App Store", because Python is available for all three
> platforms.  There might be a speed issue with python though.  I don't know
> because I've not done anything with it myself.

I'm an alpha tester for an opensource python app (lyric projection;
http://openlp.org) and I can say that speed---at least with this
app---is not an issue.  It may be my machine (doubtful) or it may be
good coding (dunno; not a developer) or it may be a simple application
(projecting lyrics/text with two monitors or monitor/projector) or it
may really be that python speed isn't a concern.  All this to say that
in my very limited experience, the question of speed with python isn't
even on my radar.
--
john-thomas
------