[GRLUG] grlug Digest, Vol 40, Issue 25

peyeps at iserv.net peyeps at iserv.net
Thu Jul 16 08:44:11 EDT 2009

> I've been advocating an AppStore/Apt Repo style content provision
> network for Windows, at least, for months.  I can't seem to convince
> anyone it's a good idea, or even that it's feasible.
>
> Valve is in the best position to do it, right now, but they're focused
> on games.  The moment someone starts making serious coin selling
> miscellaneous apps, though, you can bet they'll start using Steam for
> the purpose.  And PunkBuster will consider Steam competitors hacking
> software...
>

> --
> :wq
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:22:31 -0400
> From: Matthew Seeley <matthew at threadlight.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRLUG] Mass Market Software
> To: grlug at grlug.org
>
> One such "Windows App Store" already exists.
>
> It's called Impulse, and it's run by Stardock just outside of Detroit MI.
>
> http://www.impulsedriven.com/
>
> Does Games, Apps, pretty much anything that runs on Windows. It's
> kinda heavily weighted towards games right now, but you can buy
> utilities, office software, and even stuff like "Corel Paint Shop
> Pro".
>

> FOSS already has an app store. It's called apt-get, and everything is free
> :)

What I was thinking of was a single location where you could buy an
application for any platform, Windows, Mac and Linux.  There are so many
things out there that are for only one or two platforms.

Even free stuff is not available for all platforms.  For example the
Chrome browser, though I understand there is a beta for Linux available
now.

Possibly applications built on top of Python might be good candidates for
the "Universal App Store", because Python is available for all three
platforms.  There might be a speed issue with python though.  I don't know
because I've not done anything with it myself.