[GRLUG] Status of things

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:02:48 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Mol wrote:

>> Oh, lovely.  I'm not particularly impressed with my own recording in
>> this case, either.  Ah well.  If this is going to be a regular thing,
>> maybe we can get a mounted camera that can stream DV to a Linux box, a
>> hands-free kit to capture presenter speech, and a hanging omni mic or
>> two to capture table talk.

[big snip]

> Next thing is to figure out how to automate this.  Lots of work for any
> and all presentations.
>
> I can see it, Attribut-amatic

The only bit I think can be automated is the actual recording and
possibly scripting up a few intro frames based on form inputs. (Which
I will probably have the skill to do in PHP, by the end of this
particular work day.)

Actually obtaining the licenses from the involved parties is
necessarily a manual thing, and there's no reliable way to pull a
human being out of the editing side of things; We're talking about at
least three audio input channels, and which channel is most
interesting is a matter of subjectivity. (Even if you provide each
audio source as a separate stream, you still need a master mix track
since the vast majority of media players won't let you play mix the
audio streams during playback.)

But good source material is the first step. :)

I might suggest using VNC server on the machine in question to pull
high-quality video source directly from any computerized presentation
if there's no human being in front of the camera, but that could be a
tricky thing to arrange, and would require a wired connection for
latency's sake.

Still, fun to think about.