[GRLUG] Status of things

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:28:41 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Steve Romanow<slestak989 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Michael Mol wrote:
>
> >> Oh, lovely.  I'm not particularly impressed with my own recording in
> >> this case, either.  Ah well.  If this is going to be a regular thing,
> >> maybe we can get a mounted camera that can stream DV to a Linux box, a
> >> hands-free kit to capture presenter speech, and a hanging omni mic or
> >> two to capture table talk.
>
> [big snip]
>
> > Next thing is to figure out how to automate this.  Lots of work for any
> > and all presentations.
> >
> > I can see it, Attribut-amatic
>
> The only bit I think can be automated is the actual recording and
> possibly scripting up a few intro frames based on form inputs. (Which
> I will probably have the skill to do in PHP, by the end of this
> particular work day.)

It really doesn't take much time to make simple text-only title and
attribute screens. All I did with the video was crop it down to the
presentation. The content after the presentation is audio-only, so I may try
to extract that and upload it. Most of the time is spent waiting for the
videos to render. Using Kino, it has to render to DV before editing, then
you render to DV/XVid/whatever after editing. Even on my six year old
computer, it was not disruptive to do other things while the video rendered.

> Actually obtaining the licenses from the involved parties is
> necessarily a manual thing, and there's no reliable way to pull a
> human being out of the editing side of things; We're talking about at
> least three audio input channels, and which channel is most
> interesting is a matter of subjectivity. (Even if you provide each
> audio source as a separate stream, you still need a master mix track
> since the vast majority of media players won't let you play mix the
> audio streams during playback.)

I have not dealt with multiple audio streams.

> But good source material is the first step. :)
>
> I might suggest using VNC server on the machine in question to pull
> high-quality video source directly from any computerized presentation
> if there's no human being in front of the camera, but that could be a
> tricky thing to arrange, and would require a wired connection for
> latency's sake.

I think there is screen-casting software created just for this purpose.

--
 Ben Rousch
 brousch at gmail.com
 http://ishmilok.blogspot.com/