[GRLUG] shopping for linux-compatible hardware

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 9 20:04:47 EDT 2009

> Can anyone offer advice on how to effectively shop for linux-compatible
> hardware?

Go to a vendor that specifically sells LINUX systems and either order
from them or check the components they include in their systems.  I
frequently go to TigerDirect.Com to lookup components and check the
comments - people frequently make LINUX related support comments.

> I am looking into upgrading my aging Pentium 3 system, and
> what I basically want is hassle-free hardware support.  I am very much
> partisan to Asus mainboards, and I want onboard video that "just works",

For a desktop system I've avoid integrated video [I'd also avoid
building a white-box system these days, there just isn't any point].
GPUs these days age-out, supports gets dropped after awhile.  It isn't a
stable technology like CPUs [with a CPU, if you enjoy pain, you can
continue to use the same chip for years.... not with GPU].

> including 3D support which, as I understand, means I should be looking
> for an Intel chipset.  Thoughts?

I'd go with an Nvidia card,  but an Intel GMA965/x3100 should work well.
<http://intellinuxgraphics.org/user.html>