[GRLUG] shopping for linux-compatible hardware

John J. Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 9 22:00:30 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:04:47PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > Can anyone offer advice on how to effectively shop for linux-compatible
> > hardware?
>
> Go to a vendor that specifically sells LINUX systems and either order
> from them or check the components they include in their systems.  I
> frequently go to TigerDirect.Com to lookup components and check the
> comments - people frequently make LINUX related support comments.
>
> > I am looking into upgrading my aging Pentium 3 system, and
> > what I basically want is hassle-free hardware support.  I am very much
> > partisan to Asus mainboards, and I want onboard video that "just works",
>
> For a desktop system I've avoid integrated video [I'd also avoid
> building a white-box system these days, there just isn't any point].
> GPUs these days age-out, supports gets dropped after awhile.  It isn't a
> stable technology like CPUs [with a CPU, if you enjoy pain, you can
> continue to use the same chip for years.... not with GPU].
>
> > including 3D support which, as I understand, means I should be looking
> > for an Intel chipset.  Thoughts?
>
> I'd go with an Nvidia card,  but an Intel GMA965/x3100 should work well.
> <http://intellinuxgraphics.org/user.html>

I'm looking at an Ubuntu system from System76 now.  Going with a
prebuilt linux system will take the hassle out of checking every part
for compatibility.  The video is an onboard Intel x3100... I'll
doublecheck that the board has an expansion slot for an addon graphics
card, should I ever need to switch.

Am I thinking clearly here?  :)

--
John Foerch