[GRLUG] Printers

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:56:29 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Jordan Hudson <jodanlime at gmail.com> wrote:
> I work at staples in Muskegon, we sell a lot of printers. The best bang for
> you buck when we are talking about ink prices is either soemething (k5400 or
> L7000 series) that takes HP's slightly new 88 series cartridges, the XL
> variety gets you 2500 pages at 5% yield on the black cartridge for $36. It
> is also very fast, and the machines usually cost less than a laser. If you
> want nice pictures go with epson, I use them for everything picture. I would
> stay away from most brother machines. The new kodak printers are a nightmare
> when it comes to picture quality. Canon printers are actually quite good,
> most people remember the 90s when they were crap.

I think this is the second time I have to heartily disagree with
Jordan on Brother laser printers (if it wasn't you last time, I
apologize).  I own one, and we have 4 here at Middleville Tool & Die.
I own an HL2070N and all 4 here are 5250DNs.  All great printers.  The
2070N has more paper curl than I care for, but you can't get a cheaper
cost per page anywhere.  Period.  And no other printer at it's price
point has equivalent features.  Ditto for the 5250DN's features.
Reliability simply hasn't been an issue - after more than a year of
printing near the duty cycle.

There are faster printers, there are more featurefull ones, but if you
want a good linux-compatible printer, cheap, you won't do wrong with a
brother.

The same cannot be said of many recent lasers from HP, Samsung (at least).

--tim