[GRLUG] Printers

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:49:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>  On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 14:36 -0400, john-thomas richards wrote:
>  > Some of us did not know that OSX uses CUPS (having no interest in OSX
>  > whatsoever...).  The Kodak 5100 AllInOne works with OSX 10.4 or
>  > later...  The color ink cartridge is only $14.00 and the black
>  > cartridge is only $9.99.  My wife uses one with her new Vista laptop.
>  > It has amazing quality and the ink!  It is sooo *inexpensive*!  Perhaps
>  > I can use it with Linux, after all.  (I do not need the scanner part
>  > and one does not need a PC to make copies with it.)  I bought it new
>  > from w00t for $50.  In the stores one can get it for $100.
>
>  Right from the index page: http://www.cups.org/
>
>  CUPS provides a portable printing layer for UNIX(R)-based operating
>  systems. It was developed by Easy Software Products and is now owned and
>  maintained by Apple Inc. to promote a standard printing solution. It is
>  the standard printing system in Mac OS(R) X and most Linux(R) distributions.
>

>  And Windows even sorta supports it nativily... sorta.

Cups (and Windows') support for IPP* is awesome.  Between it, VNC and
OpenVPN, I was able to debug printing code while I was stuck working
from home with the flu.  I even found and removed a couple stale print
jobs on my home computer that I'd forgotten about, using the Windows
spool manager.

And it's a *lot* easier to set up Windows to use a Linux printer with
CUPS and IPP than it is to do so with Samba.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Printing_Protocol