[GRLUG] ohloh - open source app site I was discussing

George (Skip) VerDuin verduin at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 22 13:59:22 EST 2008

Bingo & THANKS Steve.

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 23:08 -0500, Steve Romanow wrote:
> I new I would think of it.
>
> ohloh.net is the one we were comparing to sourceforge and freshmeat.
>
> THis site doesnt host any projects, they just measure stats.
I chased a couple things I use and am familiar with -- info seems
consistent with my experience.  I see information overload coming...

> I love the Project COst stat.  They calc the cost (i.e. value) of a
> project by sloc based on if you were to hire a team to write it.
First impression with "popularity" measure : interesting.
  Firefox is twice as popular as linux kernal
  Subversion [PUT stuff in] is more popular than Apache [PRESENT stuff]
  LAMP tools are 3 of the top 5

<extreme trivia>
The name of this site [ohloh] pronounces(?) [O'-la] like the Brazilian
Portuguese verb [ohlar] that translates like English "look around".
Hmmm.</extreme trivia>

Thanks again for adding to my "tool kit".

Warmest regards from here,
George