[GRLUG] Comcast and net neutrality

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 19:28:58 EDT 2007

I don't know that I'd call it boiler plate,
but you're welcome tweak the letter I
sent if that's helpful.  Keeping in mind
that at most you'll get a form letter
back from your "representatives,"  and
it might not even pertain to the issue
you wrote about,  it's probably more
important to just send something than
to worry too much about the details.
Some aid probably just puts the e-mails
in to piles and sees which is higher
anyway.  i.e.,  your "representative"
probably never reads them.

You might also mention support for S.156,
which keeps states from taxing the Internet
for a while longer.

I'd say the goal here is to ensure that the
Internet doesn't become the ad soaked
useless medium that TV has.

And what Comcast is doing might not
actually be illegal.  The problem is that it
is effectively a monopoly in many areas.
It's well known that it and other large ISPs
treat people in different geographic areas
differently depending on how much
competition they figure exists.  This too
they are not very forthcoming about.

   -Bob

++++++++++++++++++
Cable provider Comcast is already
clearly violating what is called net
neutrality - the practice of treating
all Internet traffic equally.  While it
of course denies this, the Associated
Press has verified through tests that
in fact Comcast is prioritizing Internet
traffic.

The Internet,  despite some problems,
has proven to be overall a valuable
enabling technology, and positively
affects many segments of US business,
science, and technology,  in addition to
serving as a vast library for millions.
It would be unconscionable to let Comcast
and others to now do to the Internet what
has been done to radio,  cable, and satellite
TV.  Now so laden with advertising that
each 30 minutes of programming can
contain 12 to 15 minutes of advertising,
rendering each medium at the least mind
numbing, and and the worst useless.

It was the intent of the net neutrality
legislation to ensure that this does not
happen.  By controlling traffic based on
content and source,  Internet companies
will attempt to force users to upgrade to
premium services,  much like cable and
satellite TV,  in order to view any content
without also accepting  incessant advertising.

People have recognized for years now that
companies like AT&T,  Comcast, Verizon,
and others should not be allowed to own
the backbone fibers that route much of the
Internet traffic in the US.  Their fears have
proven to be justified.

I'd ask that the welfare of the little people
in the US be taken in to consideration on
this issue, and that Congress make more
permanent arrangements to ensure net
neutrality.  The Internet is simply too
valuable to let happen to it what Comcast
apparently has in mind.  The Internet should
be equally available to all Americans, and
free of additional fees just to get back to
what they currently have for the most part.