[GRLUG] Distro's - was GRLUG test comment

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Thu May 4 20:51:35 EDT 2006

> Hey Topher...  I don't want to beat you up any more than I've already
> done ;)
>
> Just wanted to mention that Ubuntu uses the Debian installer, mostly
> unmodified (the partitioner is the same).
>
> I find it very easy to use, but that's me.  A GUI it aint, but for
> inexperienced users, it has very sensible defaults.

Yeah, I should say some things about what I was doing.  It was in class,
and they already had the general idea of how paritioning was done, so I
wasn't looking for defaults, I was pushing every button to see what it
did.

I was expecting Ubuntu to be "easy for beginners".  What I found was
"relatively easy after you've done it once or twice".  I say that because
if you know what you're looking for, and you know what the buttons all do,
it's total cake.  If you've never installed Linux before, it's kind of a
mess.

That said "relatively easy once you've done it once or twice" is
light-years beyond where we were 5 dark-years ago.

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
perl -e 'print join "", (map(chr,(shift =~ /\d{3}/g))), "\n"' \
105032119105115104032105032107110101119032112101114108