[GRLUG] Comcast & dynamic DNS

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 08:54:47 EST 2006

I haven't received that letter, but I didn't change my dns servers either.

I am not in the least knowledgeable in the area, so I believe I am
over qualified to answer your question:)
It seems logical that they know who is using their DNS servers. and
iof you haven't used them but you are active, then you must be using
someone elses.  Damn Users!!

On 3/28/06, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> I received a letter from Comcast (addressed directly to me) that indicated I
> have to reconfigure my system to utilize dynamic DNS rather than specifying my
> own DNS servers.  I wonder if this is a general letter sent to all Comcast
> customers or if Comcast somehow knows I do not use their lousy DNS servers.
> The letter stated that I could lose my connectivity if I failed to reconfigure
> (I believe it used this language; I could be mistaken since I am relying on my
> memory).  Is it possible for Comcast to know with certainty how my system is
> configured for DNS?  (I use a Linksys route provided by Vonage.)
> --
> john-thomas
> ------
> It is not what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are
> accountable.
> Moliere, actor and playwright (1622-1673)

Share and Enjoy