[GRLUG] CentOS upgrade path

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Fri Jan 28 09:21:56 EST 2022

We've been migrating to AlmaLinux. We have about 12 VM's and 4 physical hosts running it now. Fresh installs have been no problem but my attempt to upgrade from CentOS 7 -> Alma 8 (via ELevate/leapp) is currently on attempt #8. I haven't tried CentOS 8 to Alma 8.

Not sure about Commercial support - I believe Alma relies on 3rd party offerings from Tuxcare. We used CentOS because support wasn't much of a concern, though there have been a few times when access to access.redhat.com would have been helpful.

My biggest concern right now is about the speed at which patches are released. There have been a lot of high severity CVE's lately. So far, Alma has been releasing within a day of Redhat's patch.

Regards-
Scott