[GRLUG] sshd_config

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Tue Jan 18 15:16:58 EST 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 03:34:19PM -0600, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2022, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:
>
> >  Those directories aren't used unless the`ssh_config` or
> >  `sshd_config`that is in use contain a corresponding `Include`
> >  directive.
> >
> Confirmed, .. let me restate:
>
> When building a new system and copying the ssh_ and sshd_ files from the
> backup, where should legacy versions of ssh_config and sshd_config then
> be placed on a new installation?

It's a compile-time option in the ssh build process.  The man pages for
ssh and sshd on the local system should show the location in the section
FILES.  The man page is built by the same process as the binary so they
should match.

Debian puts them in /etc/ssh/, but I'm not sure that's the OpenSSH
upstream default.