[GRLUG] QB on XP -> Samba share

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon May 3 11:39:57 EDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-05-03 at 10:11 -0500, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group
wrote:
> Had a serious problem this AM - after updating an OpenSuSE fileserver
> last week, the XP VM we use for QuickBooks could not connect to the
> data file. Did some research and and found some Samba tweaks that did
> provide R/W access:
>     min protocol = NT1
>     lanman auth = yes
>     ntlm auth = yes
>     client lanman auth = Yes

Are these the only changes you made?

What you've done is dial down the security requirements to
communicate/authenticate with the server as by default Samba requires a
higher level than Windows XP supports.

> R/W access confirmed (can open and write a file), .. BUT QB chokes
> after entering a PW! Weird, why would QB have a problem with a file
> that has read/write access?

Hard to say without log analysis.  If those are the only settings you
changed then I imagine it **SHOULD** work.  On the other hand XP is
LONG out of support and at this point interoperability is no longer
tested.

> Any thoughts would be appreciated on isolating the problem!

Crank up the log level for the client and see what it actually "chokes"
on.

Would likely be easier to create a VM with a supported Windows version
and port the QB to that VM.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383