[GRLUG] Strange copy behavior

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Wed May 6 11:55:25 EDT 2020

I’m copying over my /var/www/html file on my old Fedora computer to a thumb drive.

The copy process is coming up with a bunch of strange “File conflict” warnings (file with same name already exists).

First, if I’m copying to a blank html directory on the thumb drive, how can the file already exist?

Second, the warning shows the same file size and the same time saved for the file that “already exists” and the one the system is trying to copy.

Only thing I can think is that somehow the system is not keeping accurate track of the files it’s already copied. Is that possible? Could there be something else?

Thanks.

Eric Beversluis
Short fiction at www.ericbeversluis.com