[GRLUG] Best Local SAN performance

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Wed Jun 17 17:51:17 EDT 2020

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:

> And when you get tired of having to go to command line for MDADM
> manipulation (as I did ages ago), build a FreeNAS SAN server and never look
> back.  :-)

Until your thumb drives die and you don't know it, .. been there, seen
that <g>!!!

We worked on a major disaster when a power outage rebooted a bunch of
FreeNAS systems only to find that the thumb drives had died. Biggest
problem, some of the VMs were in the process of being migrated from
one NAS to a different one.

Hopefully FreeNAS does a physical disk install now?

> As Van said, a good switch and "10G-Tek" or Mellanox 10Gbe NICs will give
> you cheap good perf either way.

Yep, .. that's the plan.

	Thanks!

	Lee