[GRLUG] Best Local SAN performance

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Jun 15 14:27:24 EDT 2020

My personal preference, after building and maintaining my own for over 10
years.. is..

A controller that does JBOD, partition 98-98% of the disks, use linux mdadm
software RAID in a raid-5 or 6 configuration.  The reason for this is, if
your controller goes bad, you can replace it with pretty much anything and
your system will still see your disks.  And with software raid, you can
easily expand the array as needed, and tailor the re-sync to your needs.
You can also see details for the various disks since they're not hidden
behind a controller (so you can check for bad sectors, read/write errors,
etc easily.)

And typically, XFS since it's easily expandable, and can handle very large
volumes.  EXT4 with or without journaling could be a competitor now that
it's mature, but I've been expanding my SAN for 10 years, and it wasn't
available back then :)

Then, if you have just 2 machines.. Get (2) 10GBe NICS, and wire them
together, with a private subnet.  Then use NFS (which is pretty well
supported, provided you need only file-level access).  If you need block
level access on your other machines, iSCSI works.  There tends to be more
overhead with iSCSI though. Make sure to tune your NFS for the type of
files you'll be transferring.

You could also setup a mini Fiber Channel network SAN, but that's quite a
bit more involved.