[GRLUG] speedtest-cli lies???

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Fri Aug 21 15:17:01 EDT 2020

On Fri, 21 Aug 2020, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:

> Make sure your speedtest-cli is current.  I had the same results with
> the version installed with apt, which I removed and re-installed with
> pip3:

Actually, the version in our packages is newer than the one on Ookla, ..

> root at airvmb:~# speedtest --versionspeedtest-cli 2.1.2Python 2.7.17 (default, Jul 20 2020, 15:37:01) [GCC 7.5.0]
> -VanDedSerius.com

Which version does that get? Ookla was at 1.0.1, .. packages 1.0.7.

In any case, I found two interesting facts yesterday:

 * speedtest-cli can't handle a symmetrical connection - if the upload
   speed is anywhere near the download speed it chokes and shows about 1/4
   of the download

 * iperf works great for symmetrical connections, .. but IT chokes if the
   connection is *asymmetrical*!

	Thanks!