[GRLUG] Process timing

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Aug 17 20:40:56 EDT 2020

For what you want, I'd configure auditd to log every process start and
stop, run my tests, then tell auditd to not do that any more. Then I'd
script up some analysis of logs.

To be honest, I don't know how to do that off the top of my head. If auditd
couldn't do it, though, I'd turn around and look at something like
SystemTap, which certainly could, though it would require some elbow grease
to write the BPF program to assemble the events and log entries I wanted.
(Though to be clear, you could very likely have it give you the entire
process lifecycle timing.) It's possible someone has already written the
BPF program to do exactly this.

:wq