[GRLUG] HP workstation hardware issue

Grand Rapids Linux Users Group grlug at grlug.org
Mon Apr 1 11:15:01 EDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 07:17:05AM -0400, Grand Rapids Linux Users Group wrote:
> My HP Z600 workstation has developed a problem with networking. I'm
> experiencing about 30% packet loss in bunches (it'll work fine for a
> time, then bam, no network, then it's back). The network card is
> integrated into the motherboard. I'm thinking about buying an add-on
> network card, but what is the likelihood I'm going to face more
> problems? Should I spring for a new motherboard?

I've temporarily avoided the problem by installing a PCI ethernet card.
Now I'm getting random problems with /home (separate drive). It
occasionally gets remounted as ro and remounting it as rw fails. A
reboot will mount it rw. This box has three physical drives installed (2
SSD and one spinning), but this problem is only occurring with the one
drive. It has SMART enabled and the logs show ZERO errors. I'm more
convinced that I need a new motherboard.

--
J-T
-----