[GRLUG] Samba home directories

Patrick Goupell patrick at yoopermail.us
Tue Mar 7 09:02:10 EST 2017

On 03/07/2017 08:37 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net>
>> Haven't seen any traffic on the list for some time, .. allow me to
>> pose an
>> interesting problem:
>> It appears that something has changed in newer versions of Samba - we
>> have
>> a number of servers where the user home directories are on separate
>> partition. In the past, Samba would honor the home directory path
>> in passwd, but now it is not (unsure as the last working, however).
>> Is there a specific way to specify a home directory not in /home any
>> more?
>
> There is no actual significance to "/home".
>
> Are you using a "homes" section?
>
>> Have tried path = /u2/Users/%S , but no difference.
>
> It logs nothing about being unable to find the home directory? The log
> file likely contains exactly what the problem is.
>
> Does the home directory name == the user name?
>
> Are you certain SELinux is not forbidding access to an untagged
> directory?

I don't know if this is related to your problem or not.

I run Debian.  In my home directory I had a symlink to a separate data
partition.

When I switched from wheezy to jessie I noticed that I could no longer
open my home folder and naviage into the symlinked data partition.

I had to create a new share  for the data partition and access it as a
different drive letter (from a windows computer).

Can you try creating a new share for your directory and see if you can
access it that way.

Patrick