[GRLUG] Forgotten password

Patrick Goupell patrick at yoopermail.us
Fri Jan 29 11:16:05 EST 2016

Then get a live linux cd and boot that.
from a terminal enter command "sudo su" to get root privileges
now as root enter command "mkdir /work"
enter command "fdisk -l" to see you partition layout.  I will assume the
root partitino is on partition 1 (sda1 or hda1)
enter commadn "mount -t auto /dev/sda1 (or hda1 depends on the live cd)
/work
enter command "cd /wrok"
enter command "ls -l"  you should see a linux file system layout
enter command "cd etc"

with a test editor vi/vim/nano whatever is on the live cd
enter the command (vim as an example) "vim passwd"
the first entry is the root account, changte the "root:x:" to "root:*:"
this will remove the password on the root account
also do the same for your user account (scroll down the file) to remove
its password
save the changes

reboot the computer normally.
You should be able to log into your account without a password

Now create a new password for yourself and root.