[GRLUG] SuSE 13.2 group weirdness

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 6 16:57:28 EDT 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 14:58 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > This is sort of a 'new default'.  Group enumeration due to
> absurdities
> > in the NSS functions can be scandalously inefficient;
> FYI, .. found the solution -nscd caching.
>         systemctl restart nscd
> fixed the problem.

Argh.  nscd is evil. I would add it to your task list to transition to
SSSD.  And with SSSD you can flush the cache, for users or groups, with
the sss_cache command rather than by restarting a service - and you can
actually set meaning cache criteria and expiration.

SSSD finally brings some sanity to ident management on LINUX.

nslcd is also better than nscd if SSSD is too far for you right now.
 nscd is evil.  Get rid of nscd.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383