[GRLUG] Arch Linux

John-Thomas Richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Jun 25 09:23:00 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 06:11:37PM -0400, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I'm "finished" installing Arch on my laptop.  I have XFCE with lightdm, and
> chromium installed.  Still have some setup to do, but holy mother of all
> that is geek, it is less than 3 gigs all totaled.
>
> Anyway, If your looking for different distro, give it a shot, I learned
> some stuff installing it and it is light, fast(unless you install something
> too heavy),  and doesn't come with any stuff you don't want in the default.

I ran Arch for a while and loved it. Lots of excellence in it, but also
lots of maintenance. I hated the constant system maintenance (frequent
updates). I ran Debian Testing and then Sid for many, many years before
Arch (I switched to Arch in part for its support of Enlightenment). Too
much of a daily grind for me. I'm now running openSUSE and love it. Its
CUPS implementation is superior to both Debian and Arch. For some
reason in both Debian and Arch and Ubuntu printing PDFs to HP printers
is a nightmare. Pages take forever to begin printing (on the order of
five to ten minutes sometimes) and then only print a page or so every
couple minutes. On openSUSE PDFs print as expected. Bottom line: it just
works. That's what I love about Linux.

Okay, enough rambling.
--
john-thomas