[GRLUG] Samba weirdness

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Feb 16 14:10:41 EST 2015

On Mon, 2015-02-16 at 12:56 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2015, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > It works for me; version 4.1.12.
> > It seems local "WORKGROUP" crud and the resident Active Directory
> > domain.
> Not sure I caught the point?

Seriously???

You -> "I noticed that where it *isn't* working, smbtree version is v4
or greater,.. on the machine where it IS working it is 3.4."

Me -> I am version 4, it works here.

> What has changed for usage in Samba 4?

None, no change.

> Here is a [global] configuration from my server here in the shop;
> everything works *EXCEPT* browsing/smbtree:

Why do you believe this is a Samba related issue and not network policy,
firewall, SELinux, etc...?

Because smbtree does not much care about Samba configuration, it is a
network browser.  I do not have an "smb.conf" file on the box I am on,
Samba is not running, smbtree goes to the network for its information.
smbtree will wander all over your network; it may be a *feature* of the
network that smbtree is broken

You can watch smbtree in action by running it with an elevated debug
level:

    smbtree --debuglevel=10

My guess is you are going to see it trying to communicate with network
hosts and being swatted down.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383