[GRLUG] LetsEncrypt ONLINE!!

Chris Wieringa chris at wieringafamily.com
Tue Dec 8 15:21:50 EST 2015

I ran through the process of cloning the client and retrieving a
certificate for my home web server.  Overall, it wasn't that much of a
hassle.

The client performs a 3rd-party verification of your website / domain-name
by having temporarily hosting a webserver on either port 80 or 443, or by
writing into your webroot a verification file.  It wrote into the
.well-known/acme-challenge/ directory in my webroot for that process.

I get a bit annoyed with the default mantra of "we'll do everything for
you" with the client wanting to reconfigure Apache automatically, but it's
simple enough to skip that then modify my Apache config for the
certificates manually.  Likewise, it looks like CSRs can be sent as well if
you want to do that manually.

Since they issue 90 day certificates, it seems like using the client and a
cron entry seems like the easiest way to keep this working long-term.

Chris