[GRLUG] gedit on the command line

Thomas Wodarek kc8zpq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 12:07:31 EDT 2015

Unfortunately, assuming you don't have x-forwarding, you're stuck with
{vim,emacs,pico,nano,ed} or similar and they are all going to feel like
command-line editors.

If you need to be editing it on the remote machine via ssh,
http://vim-adventures.com/  :)

If you have it, x-forwarding gedit could work for you, but that can get
lagy...

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Roger Roelofs <roger.roelofs at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There's no command line editor that doesn't feel like one.
>
> Assuming they don't want to become command line junkies like us, they'd be
> better off editing locally.  There are graphical tools for every platform
> to view directory contents and edit remote files by downloading them to
> /tmp and uploading them when the user hits 'save'.
>
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Roger Roelofs wrote:
>>
>> > "best editor" questions always boil down to "it depends'  What kind of
>> > files will they be editing?
>> >
>> html, php, etc.
>>
>> > Before I succumbed to vim I preferred nano for editing config files.
>> For
>> > coding I'm still an emacs guy.
>> >
>> None would be good for a non-admin chap, but thanks!
>>
>>         Lee

> Roger
>
> Roger Roelofs
> Know what you value.