[GRLUG] Ubiquiti issues

Benjamin Flanders flanderb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:52:25 EDT 2014

Thank you all for your help.  I've moved the controller off the windows
server and onto a linux (virtual)box.  This did seem to help.  I can now
get up to 20ish clients.  It still varies from 17-23 valid ip's.  I am
going to move the dhcp server to the same box today.  I have a feeling that
this will help, but not truly fix the issue.  I believe that there is
something randomly blocking access to this windows server.

Question:
What would cause a client to be randomly unable to access or ping a certain
server on the network, while other clients have no issue pinging said
server, nor does that client have an issue pinging other servers.  It isn't
just this laptop, I've witnessed this directly one other time a few weeks
ago.

Background:
Today I had a sales manager come to me saying that his internet was going
up and down all morning, but he has had a strong connection the whole
time(from the little icon in the system tray).  It was currently down so
went over there and found that I couldn't ping the dns server, but I could
ping other servers on the network.  I tested with his phone and I could get
to google(I think this verified the dns server was working and accessible
to his phone)

Mmm, I thought, I have wireshark at my desk on the other side of the
office(as if I knew how to use it).  So I grabbed his laptop and went to my
office.  Alas, when I got to my desk the laptop was not having any issues
with pinging the dns server anymore.  I don't know if it was crossing into
another AP (reconnecting to network), or just that it randomly started
working.

Once I get the DHCP server on the linux box I'll truely see if my issue
stops being getting an IP lease and starts to becoming a DNS issue.

Share and Enjoy
Ben