[GRLUG] Project

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri May 30 17:05:06 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 14:55 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to port a straight C program to Linux?

A C application from MS-DOS or from UNIX.  If from UNIX it may very well
"just work", depending on a lot of things.

>  There apears
> to be a book in 1995, ..
> Main issues would be:
>  * UI - the old system has an ANSI graphic UI

On UNIX this may mean "curses", which should work on LINUX without fuss.
Curses is awesome.

If this is an M$-DOS app.... forget about it.

>  * MT - it used ctask for multi-tasking

No clue what you mean.

>  * SER - it used two or three serial ports

Again, if coming from UNIX there is probably not much of an issue unless
the app tries to do some funky flow control.

> The main reason is that it is almost possible to create a MSC-6
> environment to compile now, and I just realized that my machine from 20
> years ago I have been keeping on the shelf for this eventuality is dead.

By MSC do you mean Microsoft Quick C?

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383