[GRLUG] Linux installs and laptop repairs.

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:07:04 EDT 2014

So, at Friday After Five, there will be a few laptops being actively serviced. One is a personal laptop my son poured out a glass of water on. It's dried out now, but won't energize. Goal is to fix it if possible, recover data if not.

Second is a personal laptop that has an old, likely broken Gentoo install on it. If the above laptop can be fixed, I'll be fixing this install. If not, I'll be recovering data and installing xubuntu on it.

The third is my work laptop. It's a Lenovo Yoga 13 that just came back from repair, and I need to put Linux back on it. (Before sending it in, I wiped all the Linux partitions, as that's where all the sensitive data was.) This will be a fun one, as it's a UEFI machine. Previously, I used Ubuntu and an unsigned bootloader. This time, I'll be using Gentoo and a signed bootloader. (And Gentoo+LUKS, which I haven't done before.)

I've got other project boxes waiting in the wings, but these are my most urgent ones, and I figured GRLUG FaF would be a great context.