[GRLUG] Routing Weirdness

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jan 28 16:59:05 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 15:53 -0600, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> OK, .. we have two RVN042s onsite, and there is a wireless link between

FYI, I have no idea what a RVN042 is.

> one (the 192.168.1.n) and a remote site (the 192.168.2.n) so remote users
> can access the server (192.168.1.145).
> *Most* of the time everything works fine, but randomly, traffic from the
> remote site gets routed through the Main site route to go out!

Is that actually a problem?

What is the weights of your routes?  Do the metrics of both paths end up
being the same.

Are you sure the gateway uplink for one of the sites is not actually
going down - in which care `re`routing is entirely correct.

Do you have monitoring to capture linkUp/linkDown?

> Has anyone ever seen weirdness like this? Any thoughts on possible issues?
> The machines with problems are all XP, and my working theory is that after
> using a program on a network share (192.168.1.145), XP wants to use the
> 192.168.1 network for some strange reason, but I have not been able to
> prove it.

Nah,  I've got and had a hundred plus Windows XP machines in a large
routed network - routing in XP is stable and sane.  The trouble is in
your network.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383