[GRLUG] finding dhcp lease info

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jan 26 16:35:56 EST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 01:11 -0500, Dave Chiodo wrote:
> Sounds screwy. But with the canned firmware those things comes with,
> who knows. I tend to avoid the "stock" firmware and prefer OpenWRT or
> Tomato.

+1  It is very hard to say much meaningful about 'some device' running
'some version' of some OEMs firmware;  one would imagine that with time
firmwares would have gotten a lot better and more feature complete, with
features migrating down from enterprise hardware to the consumer junk.
Sadly, such an assumption would be wrong.  Consumer junk seems to be
trending towards junkier.

> I can't imagine any reason having some fixed-IP devices would be a
> problem.

Agree.

> Technically even if they were in the DHCP range it should be ok, as
> the DHCP service SHOULD do a ping to make sure an address isn't
> claimed before assigning it. (keyword "should" - so probably better to
> keep them non-overlapping)

Yep.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam at whitemice.org> GPG D95ED383