[GRLUG] entertaining bit of satire re M$ (I think it's satire)

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Tue Feb 11 10:30:08 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-11 at 09:22 -0500, Eric Beversluis wrote:
> Well, if you want to debate it on the list, my apologies to everyone
> else.
>
> 1. I took my reply off-list because I believed that most of the list
> members would not be interested in the debate. This seems the key to
> "netiquette," which is a monstrously ill-defined concept. On the other
> hand, my original posting of the satirical link was one that I thought
> most list members--who can't avoid dealing with Windows
> extensively--would enjoy.

Yes, again, eye of the beholder... personally, I'd rather encounter a
"Beholder" to numb my mind than read Windows/Microsoft Satire. Sorry,
again, it is my opinion.

Also notice my signature today.

> 2.  The post was clearly labeled, so it would take you or others not
> interested in it a mere micro-second to delete and move on to the next
> "relevant" post.

Clearly labeled as a Windows satirical post... hmmm LUG Mailing list...
something seems wrong there.

> 3. I delete, without reading them, perhaps a couple of dozen posts from
> this and other lists everyday because they are not what I'm interested
> in. I don't make judgments as to whether those topics should have been
> raised or not.

A list with some modicum of self-restraint (yes I know, "oh the irony,
you Greg!"), we wouldn't have to have these discussions. I find these
kind of things similar to the people that ask for help and then ARGUE
with the help provider, or publicly discount the answer "Nope, can't
possibly be that" even when it turns out to BE just that.

> 4.  Your lawn???

Yes my lawn... it is a flippant answer used in many situations to say
something in a nice way, rather than use swear words. Evidently sarcasm
is lost on you.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
    -- Phyllis Diller