[GRLUG] Can't get mongod service to work in Ubuntu

Dave Brondsema dave at brondsema.net
Tue Dec 16 17:15:17 EST 2014

In Ubuntu I can't seem to get a standard mongod service to run.  I've installed
it according to http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-ubuntu/

Here's the various ways I've tried it

# not really supposed to do it this way, but shown for completeness
root at a3af49106645:~# /etc/init.d/mongod start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service mongod start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start mongod

# self-contradictory message!
root at a3af49106645:~# service mongod start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service mongod start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start mongod

# no output at all?!  Nothing in /var/log/upstart/ either
root at a3af49106645:~# start mongod
root at a3af49106645:~#

I am not familiar with Upstart... what am I missing?  I have tried with `apt-get
install mongodb-10gen` which gives older 2.4 releases as well as
`mongodb-org-server` which is current 2.6 series.  I've tried both Ubuntu 12.04
and 14.04 with same results.

Dave Brondsema : dave at brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming