[GRLUG] your mail

Justin Denick jdenick at rtl.org
Sat Aug 23 22:54:17 EDT 2014

Yeah, that's what I call a machine if it loads an os or any portion of it from a server. That should probably include user settings if this is about a primary domain controller. Given the OPs context that's not likely the case. But in such case, bacula would be a great way to keep backups of important user data. It's software compression can be configured to minimize space a computational waste.

Right now, I'm using an email client and it only requires settings. Here the only necessary backup would be for POP mail or maybe an address book. The former problem is easily solved by using IMAP and then making sure you're using bacula to backup user mail and spam settings. Teach them how to backup their address books by encouraging them to move it to the cloud.

There are also web/chat/tweet/like/+/in clients which only require a connection to their respective services. These aren't machines but the soft stuff deployed by the service. That doesn't seem to match the client criteria either.

The bacula file daemon is a client. It talks to the bacula director. The bacula director, in turn talks to the bacula storage daemon.
In this case, there is a quasi-client-server relationship between the user machine and the backup storage.

So yeah, it seems clients talk to servers. Knowing this neither clarifies your reference to client nor your contention that bacula, a free open source software, is not something you would use for your 'clients'?

These points notwithstanding, I may have misinterpreted the OP. If its obvious that the user machine is a client, than I would hope you'll agree that a specific level of knowledge regarding the alleged client-server relationship would be required to know the most efficient method for backups.

This might dually explain why bacula isn't something you'd use. A two-fer-one combo.

-j

--

Right to Life of Michigan
Director of Information Services