[GRLUG] Backup of user machines

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 21:34:21 EDT 2014

I use bacula to pull data from windows and Linux machines onto lto3 with an hp tape drive.

The job storage/management is all done in Postgres via bconsole, the admin interface. It's written in Python. Initially, used a MySQL database and I switched over with a simple script provided by bacula. Other engines are probably supported too.

I've restored from these data sets more than once. While slow, due to not specifying exactly which files to restore, the task was effortless and worked perfectly.

Bacula might offer the widest array of storage media compatibility. I've used plain disks, DVD, quantum travan, and the LTO3 media I'm using now.

There is still no easy way around the Microsoft live/open file backup.  I just do a little didy with dos, but a more elaborate solution could be easily achieved.

It's free, stable and a great backup tool for the folks who vim they're way through life.

-j

--

Right to Life of Michigan
Director of Information Services