[GRLUG] modem

scott.tanner at comcast.net scott.tanner at comcast.net
Tue Aug 19 11:32:19 EDT 2014

I have the Motorola SB6141 modem with Comcast Internet and the experience has not been pleasant. My download rates kept dropping to under 1Mb even though my upload rates stayed at 6Mb. My connection would drop every couple of days with a T3 timeout. I called Comcast numerous times; half of the time a reset signal would fix the issue, the other times they said the modem or router was the issue. Whenever they sent a tech out, everything would magically start working before they arrived. I picked up a modem from Comcast (Cisco based) just to troubleshoot the problem and its been working perfectly. I should put the Motorola back in and see if the problem returns, but that requires another call to Comcast to register the MAC address and I've been too lazy/busy to do it.

Perhaps the modem I have is bad, or perhaps Comcast's support of the SB6141 is lacking (plenty of complaints on the Comcast forums). Either way, I would *hope* that a simple modem upgrade would be effortless but be prepared if its not.

Regards,
Scott