[GRLUG] Backup of user machines

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Aug 17 17:43:50 EDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-16 at 11:38 -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Steve Romanow wrote:
> > > Not sure why Cygwin would be needed, the linux server would grab what files
> > > were selected via smb.
> The other problem I saw is that it has not been tested with any newer
> Windoze product than XP - a major showstopper. I don't like Windoze, and

If it is using Cygwin it doesn't much matter - the software runs on
Cygwin, it only sorta runs on Windows.  rsync works just fine on Windows
7.

If you just need to blast files off to somewhere you could use WinSCP.

> will not get roped into debugging the crappy permission structure in Win7!

Eh?  Windows 7 *fixed* a great deal of permissions/access issues;  it
just happened there is/was a great deal of [poorly written] software
that silently depended on things being broken.  That does not make
Windows 7 broken.